Registry of Deeds
Now that the Townland Index Books at Dublin's Registry of Deeds in Henrietta Street are browsable online, it is a good time to make an investigation of some of the weird and wonderful place names that appear on their pages. Most of these names have fallen into disuse or been replaced by newer titles. None are mentioned in the major Irish land surveys of the 19th century.
Apart from townlands, these books frequently pin down the name of a farm, a lane, a street or a dwelling with remarkable detail. Although it is apparent that many of these place names were called after a previous land holder or a feature on the landscape, the reasons behind other titles are baffling and obscure.
The following are some examples, mainly for the letter "M" and taken from the Townland Index Books for County Dublin only. They date from as recently as the 1820s. Location is identified where possible. There will be more to follow.....
Part of Deans Grange called Clonahaskin and Moonaloo, in the parish of Kill.
Bounded south east by parsonage house, to the Deans Grange on the west, and by lands of Clonahaskin on the north.
Source: Registry of Deeds, Edward Beatty/ James Williams, book 556, page 313, deed 369953.
Magpies Nest :
A farm on the north side of the High Road leading to Tallaght. Held by Thomas Merryman and subsequently demised to Samuel Dembar? by widow Anne Merryman of Greenhills, his executrix.
Source: ROD, Mooney/Sparks, 758. 121.514856.
Parcel of ground on Leeson Street, alias Donnybrook Road, called Minchins Mantle with dwelling thereon, lately occupied by John Boland Esq. Formerly occupied by Richard Eustace.
Source: ROD, Spring/Bennett, 770. 560. 522495.
Consisting of 11 acres in the barony of Newcastle. Also known by many other name:
Kings Common, Camanhedge,High Keloughs,Bedfourland, Ardinan.
Source: ROD,Lord Kilwarden/Clinch, 782.385.529520.
Formerly called Fagans. Part of Kinsally (Kinsealy) consisting of 98 acres.
Source: ROD,Tighe/Cooper, 87.43.532178.
Michael Bowens Bank:
Over four acres forming part of the lands of Portmarnock, adjoining the demesne lands of Broomfield.
Source: ROD,Dempsey/Montague, 796.490.538025.
Part of the lands of Stillorgan, Deerpark, and a house known by the name of Morocco, owned by Richard Sinclair, previously belonging to Graves Chamney Levan Esq.
Source: ROD,Faucett/Dixon, 809.374.545709.
Part of the lands of Drumcondra, barony of Coolock, the field commonly called Mustard Field late in possession of Charles Bourrian.
Source: ROD,Walker/Williams, 829.482.557817.
Part of the lands of Crumlin. Petty commonland consisting of a little over five acres.
Source: ROD,Hyland/Archbold, 836.350.561885.
Parcel of ground near St. Kevin’s Park (by St. Kevin Street) comprising almost one rood, called Mount Pleasure. Part of modern-day Wexford Street, Camden Market, Lower Kevin Street, Liberty Lane, in the Parish of St. Peter. Likely connected to or a play on the name of Thomas Pleasant, (1729-1818), founder of Pleasant’s Orphan House of Camden Street, who is still remembered today through nearby Pleasant's Lane.
Source: ROD, Arthure/Arthure, 829.79.557414.
A meadow commonly known by this name and no doubt indicating what it was used for, situated beside the paper mill at "Redd Mills" and "Barons Mills" near Chapelizod. Dating from the 1720s.
Source: ROD: Abraham Sherigley / Daniel Malone. 52.401.35038.
Yea and Nay Street:
The writer has not been able to find an explanation for this curious street name, which was in existence as recently as 1829 but which seems to have been completely forgotten. Located somewhere off present-day Meath Street in the Liberty of Thomas Court and Donore or Earl of Meath's Liberty, Dublin, Yea and Nay Street ran from a house called "Captain Brabazon's Lodgings" to the equally oddly-named area called Tripolo (or Tripoli), which is still remembered.
Sources: ROD, Kane/Meade, 846.171.566671. (Reference here also to a holding called the Cat & Bagpipes, occupied by Widow Smith.)
ROD, Cocking to Faviere, 562.304.366343.
Castle of Comfort
House and premises near Finglas Bridge. Beside a field of ground called Lovetts Park.1754.
Source: ROD, William Settle/Charles Vipoint . 173.395. 116678.
Lands of Little Newtown containing six acres. Near Rathfarnham. Barony of Rathdown. 1793/1795.
Source: ROD, Doyle/keogh. 483.192. 312935.
Part of the South Ward containing 70 acres. Bounded on south by the lough of the bay, on the west by Sputtlestown Farm, on the east by Keegans farm, on the north by the Swords Road. Barony of Castleknock. 1802.
Source: ROD, Rochfort/Glannon. 547.485. 361521.
Lands/fields of 2 acres at Newbrook. Barony of Coolock .1799
Source: ROD, Allan/Henry Darley /Ann Preston .526.395.344844.
ROD= Registry of Deeds, Henrietta Street, Dublin.
Further information on Irish place names can be found on the useful logainm.ie website.